In honor of Travis and me both having a snow day tomorrow (from work and from graduate school) I thought I would share our yummy pasta dish we made for dinner tonight. It’s seriously the best for a cozy night in!
Penne and Smoked Sausage Bake
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound smoked sausage cut into 1/4-inch slices (I substituted chicken sausage, I also used closer to half pound, cut thinner than 1/4 inch)
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk (I used skim milk)
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup
- 1-1/2 cups cheddar french-fried onions,divided (I seriously didn’t know these came in cheddar flavored! New tradition for Thanksgiving green bean casserole?)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage over medium heat for 5 minutes; drain. In a large bowl, combine milk and soup. Stir in 1/2 cup onions, 1/2 cup cheese, peas and sausage. Drain pasta; stir into sausage mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining onions and cheese. Bake, uncovered, 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Do you like our smiley face spoon? I’m not very good at taking pictures as I’m cooking, primarily because if it turns out gross I don’t want pictures of gross food on my phone. However, you can see how much we ate of it meaning it must have been pretty tasty 🙂
Enjoy the snow tomorrow! How many snow days do you think we’re going to get? 1, 2, maybe 3, possibly 4? We can all dream right?